Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Birthdays and Finished-Book Blues



Baby F turned two today. It wasn’t such a big deal in his life, really. The cake and presents will happen on Sunday—if I can get the cake made. The idea of working with fondant awes me a little. Okay, it scares me. Today, though, passed as a normal day for my little brown boy, out playing in the sun.

Baby M is no longer a baby. She’s five, has the attitude of a 13-year-old, and is at the Benton-Franklin Fair with her maternal grandparents. In less than two weeks, she and I embark on her kindergarten year of our home-schooling saga.

My newborn, Baby S, is already five months old. Not crawling yet, but rocking on her hands and knees and, as I type, trying desperately to figure out how to get her little mitts on my laptop.

I, on the other hand, just finished Superior Storm by Tom Hilpert. It’s the second of his books I’ve read, and I enjoyed both immensely. They aren’t great literature (no offense Pastor Hilpert; few books are!) but they were immensely entertaining and they resonated with me in a way a newfound author hasn’t in a long while. I think I may end up liking Jonah Borden as much as I love Joe Grey. Hey, that’s saying a lot. After all, how many crime-solving Lutheran pastors measure up to crime-solving talking cats?

At the same time, I’m feeling a little blue. Part of that is the standard depression any reader goes through when finishing a great book and not finding another waiting. Part of it has to do with my own stalled status. Soon, I promise myself, when all my kids start sleeping through the night, 5 a.m. will look more appealing. For now, I tell myself to be patient and practice my craft in newsprint.

That’s just a little something to send out into the universe tonight. For those who like mysteries with a touch of gospel, check out Hilpert’s Superior Mysteries.




For those who like baby pictures, check out Baby S. (Okay, yes, I’m a shameless mommy who loves to show off her kids).


And happy writing.

No comments: