Thursday, January 07, 2010

Distractions

This has been a lost week. Right now I'm surrounded not only by my own 19-month-old (who, yes, has the ability to surround me all by herself), but also by my brother's 3- and 5-year-olds, who are here while their mother recuperates after the birth of their younger brother. I thought my daughter created mayhem; I now vainly wish for that level of noise and distraction. It sounds like a peaceful oasis compared to the sound of three toddlers running in circles pulling two chatterbox phones and a pushing a stroller. It doesn't help that the weather is below freezing and foggy, so I can't usher them out the door and lock it behind them.

I've accomplished no writing this week. As I said...a lost week. I'm used to blocking out a certain level of distraction--phones and conversations in an office, the subdued clatter of a Starbucks or B&N, even the sound of heavy machinery--but I have no idea how to focus with this whirlwind around me. It seems the only time to accomplish anything is when the monsters--uh, I mean children--are asleep...but how to cope when their naptimes and bedtimes leave me looking for my own pillow? So far, Writer Mama offers no clues. I tell myself I've worked 8-12 hours a day before, that I've had experience soldiering on without a two-hour naptime. It doesn't help. That pillow and blanket, in the peaceful serenity of a briefly quiet bedroom, is too tempting.

Focus, I tell myself. Exert self-control. Unfortunately, such self-talk doesn't work any better in this instance than it does with chocolate brownies.

I know I'm not the only mother attempting this. Any helpful suggestions?

2 comments:

Christina Katz said...

Hi,
If you try to arrange to work during your most productive times of day, you'll get more done and be more focused. I believe that's in the book. Good luck!

Andrea said...

Thanks for your comments. It's great to have a celebrity of sorts (as well as a fellow Oregonian) comment on my blog! I think I'll find dealing with my own daughter much easier after dealing with three toddlers for a week.