Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday Update

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I have no rejections in my mailbox to ruin my spirit of love today. Of course, no acceptances or publication news, either. No news is good news right now, though, so I’m happy.

I may not have news, but I am in a bit of a quandary. Here’s my question:

Do I join the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) or not join?

The $89 dollar fee for the first year is pretty steep when held up next to my family’s budget. That’s not entirely the issue, though. Nor is it an issue of ROI (return on investment). I know the SCBWI offers valuable resources for anyone serious about entering the world of children’s publishing. And that’s the question.

Am I serious enough to warrant the $89 membership fee?

Am I serious about going full-bore into picture book writing in the next year? Am I serious about joining specialized critique groups? Am I serious about querying agents and/or publishers? Or, will I find my self-resolve tapering off midway and sputtering to an inglorious halt, $89 the poorer?

Will I have the physical stamina throughout my pregnancy, followed by carrying for both a newborn and a three-year-old? Is it even realistic to expect myself to? Should I put it off for a couple of years and work on getting piles of manuscripts polished before entering the melee? Or could that be cowardice talking?

So, you see, it boils down to a different question. Not, “Is the SCBWI worth the money,” but “Am I worth the money?”

It’s not a question I’m up to answering today, but it’s a question worth asking.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Laura M. Campbell said...

That's a hard question. When I'm faced with similar dilemmas, I set up safety nets to catch me when I feel the steam running out. Sometimes we just need a good kick in the pants. This way I know I'm worth the money.