Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Challenges for the Present and Future

Twenty-eleven scares me a little. All right...2011 scares me a lot.

In my last post, I shared my major goals for the coming year. They seem like quite a mouthful to me right now, especially considering I'm still trying to finish up obligations from 2010. Still, they should be doable, right?

As I face this year, though, I do so with extra challenges. Not only do I have to structure my days around a recalcitrant toddler, forging ahead as a writer mama, but now I must also face the additional work of being a pregnant writer mama.

You read that right. We have a bun in the oven! (Wow, I hate that cliche. Why did I use it?)

It's a joyous occasion, an event my husband and I have wanted for a while. It carries with it, though, a whole mess of new issues.

I know there are supposed to be hormones to make me forget what it was like to be pregnant and deliver a baby the first time...but I haven't. I remember every bit of physical and mental discomfort I can expect between now and August 15. So now I face my 2011 goals as I also hurdle:
  • Constant hunger
  • Occasional nausea
  • Incessant exhaustion
  • Numerous bathroom trips
  • Extra loads of laundry from missed bathroom trips, plus
  • Many more symptoms that I won't name right now (you're welcome)
I can do it. After all, I worked full time during Moira's entire pregnancy. Should be a snap. Or not.

One thing I know is that I will need help. I'll need support and I'll need grace and I'll need patience. I'll need those things from my family, my friends and from other writers.

Anyone else out there who has struggled not just with being a writing mother, but a pregnant writing mother? Feel free to share you challenges, your stories, your tips and advice. Please! I need all the help I can get.

No comments: