Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year's Resolutions: 2011 Edition

Every year I insist on making plans. Not resolutions, exactly, but yearly goals. They rarely come to pass--or at least not completely--but I make them anyway. Without them, I feel adrift in a sea of possibilities and eddying currents that pull me this way and that.

Imagine my chagrin when I pulled out last year's goals and found them largely unfulfilled. My novel draft is uncompleted. I wrote a short story, but not the one on my goal sheet. I didn't exercise three times a week (ha ha ha ha...!), I came within two pounds of my goal weight but failed to reach it, and my toddler remains un-potty trained.

That doesn't keep me from making more goals for this year. I've tried to slim them down and make them realistic. And, as a form of accountability, I'll post some of them here. Here they are:

2011 Yearly Goals

Fiction Writing:

1. Detailed outline of A Place in Time
2. Rough draft of Journey Home
3. Write Onancock short story
4. Continue marketing unpublished works; send each out at least once

Nonfiction Writing:

1. Finish Draft of Lessons from the Shadowland: Cat
2. Detailed Outline of Lessons from the Shadowland: Toddler

Freelance:

1. Find markets for Adam Miller piece; submit 4 queries/articles
2. Write and market at least 12 small pieces: tips, fillers, list articles, how-tos

Picture Books:

1. Submit at least 4 queries for Feet on the Farm
2. Polish Scarf book
3. Finish Gelato Shop draft

Reading:

1. How to Research Historical Novels
2. Finish First Draft in 30 Days

Of course, I have other goals relating to family, gelato, health and spiritual growth...but those are none of you business, right? Right.

Okay, I've shared mine. What are some of your goals for 2011?

No comments: