Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wednesday Update

Here I am, having missed my Monday update on yet another week. It looks like working on Mondays and Tuesdays will have to call for a change in my blogging schedule...again. For now, that means updates on Wednesdays and something on Fridays. I'm far behind on my blog reading, so Friday's will probably feature more reflections and rambling and fewer blog roundups.

Yesterday saw the end of my second work "week" on my own at the paper. I still like the job, but it often feels like trying to drink from a fire hose. I arrive on Mondays around nine, usually to more than 100 emails. My first task is to filter through and find the actual news amid all the spam and junk. Then I spend the rest of the day editing that news.

Tuesday mornings hold my trip to the courthouse for their news, along with any leftover editing and interviews. Then I have the afternoon to lay out the editorial portion of the eight-page paper (that means I lay out everything but the ads and classifieds). I'd love to get a jump on layout, but it hasn't happened in the last two weeks.

That's why I haven't yet left the paper before six on a Tuesday. I walked out the door yesterday at 6:30, half an hour late for my rescheduled writers' group. Good thing I only have to walk a block.

I'm not complaining. (Fooled you, eh?) The work is exhilarating if stressful. I'm sure, though, that it will calm down once I get a better grasp on the routine. I may never leave at five, but I hope to make 6:30 a thing of the past very soon!

In other news, the past week contained a wicked cold from Wednesday on, followed by frantic Easter preparations on Saturday and, of course, church and our big family gathering on Sunday. Then back to work on Monday. I gave an excerpt from my NIP to the writers' group last week, and received good, positive feedback last night. I'm grateful for their support of someone who usually come late and leaves early! Now that Easter is out of the way and I'm over all but the last remnants of this cold, I'm trying to get a grasp on what I have to do for the rest of this week.

And the fire hose keeps pumping.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: